Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Shepherd's Pie


Well Memphis friends, it is cold outside. There is a little bit of ice, and I think we have all freaked out enough.  I know I overreacted a little bit.  You know what? I am going to keep overreacting. I am going to keep pretending like there is seven feet of snow outside, and I am going to love every minute of it.

When you are imaginary-snowed-in, you eat comfort food. You eat something stick-to-your-ribs-like.

I've been making shepherd's pie for about a year now.  I always thought that it was too involved and came out lacking in flavor.  Then I found a recipe that uses Guinness. As you already know, that is basically my favourite thing to cook with, so I gave it a shot.  It was good, but there was something lacking.  Well, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the best shepherd's pie ever.  It's packed with beef, veggies, starch, cheese, and flavor.  We will be having a salad along side ours, but really, this has all your food groups in one Pyrex. No real need for the greens.

Shepherd's Pie

This makes two family-sized portions.  You can half the recipe, or you can make two and save the second for later in the week.  If you feed people like I do on Monday nights, this will be enough for 5 adults and 1 teenage boy.

For the meat layer:
2 lbs. ground beef
1 diced onion
2 bottles Guinness
1 can green beans
2 cans corn
2 1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
3 Tb. cornstarch

For the mashed potato topping:
2 1/4 lb. Yukon gold potatoes
1/3 c. heavy cream
2 Tb. butter
1 1/2 tsp. salt

2-3 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Brown the ground beef in a large pot (pasta size--this makes a lot). Drain the beef and set to the side.  In the pot, add the diced onion and one bottle of the Guinness. Cook until the onions are soft. Add the beef, green beans, corn, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and second bottle of Guinness.  Bring to a simmer and sprinkle in the cornstarch.  Simmer until the mixture thickens.  Separate into two baking dishes.

Peel and cube the potatoes, and boil them until soft.  In a stand or hand mixer, combine the tatties, cream, butter, and salt.  Whip 'em until they're fluffy.

Divide the potatoes and spread on top of the beef layer.  Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.  Bake on 400 until the top is bubbly and golden.

1 comment:

  1. You nailed it with that one Mel. You forgot fat though as an essential ingredient. Fat = flavour. (or is that salt) Hint: Don't drain the mince when it is cooked.

    ReplyDelete