Pages

Friday, December 6, 2013

At Home Again


Nairn sunrise

BACON ROOOOOOLL

I'm really starting to settle in here. Any traces of jet lag are gone, and I am beginning to feel like I'm at home again.

Yesterday evening was spent sitting by the crackling fire, listening to the fierce wind blow, and sipping wine. I wrote in my journal, Anne prepared her lesson for the next day, and Ian played Words With Friends (quite ferociously, I might add). It was bliss.

I found out that there was something going on at the church this week, so I went out there this morning. I can't say too much about it, but it really made me feel like I was back into the normal routine.  Breakfast, out by 9, church fun, lunch, more church fun, and then free time in the afternoon. Ah, those are the days in Scotland that I am familiar with and love.

In between church sessions, we went out for lunch. It was so wonderful to see all my friends. We had such an amazing lunch together, catching up and reminiscing about old times. I also made some new friends which is equally as fantastic.

All day, I've been acquainting myself with some of my favourite foods that I eat when I'm here. I had a sizzling bacon and egg roll for lunch. If you aren't familiar with British bacon, then let me fill you in. The American bacon that we eat is known as streaky bacon here. British bacon is more like thick cut ham, and it is four times as delicious as streaky bacon. It had a fried egg on top.  Butter and brown sauce were dripping down the sides.  It was phenomenal.

I went into a newsagent after lunch to purchase a Lucozade. It is kind of an orange Fanta on steroids.  I can't really explain why it's better (maybe its less sugary and more fizzy), but when your guilty pleasure/weakness is orange Fanta, it's the best thing ever.

Megan bought a jam donut for me from the Harry Gow. The Harry Gow is a bakery here in Scotland. Their specialty is called a Dream Ring. It's the most delicious donut that has been cut in half and filled with billows of whipped cream deliciousness.

So there you go--an annoying girl post where I tell you everything that I ate today. I'm watching Doctor Who at the moment with Megan. We are going to pop out for dinner tonight.

I'm not sure what the whole story is, but stay safe in the ice, Memphis!

No comments:

Post a Comment