Pages

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Homesick

Nairn Beach

Before you get really concerned about my mental health, know that I am fine! I don't get homesick a whole lot when I travel.  I'm always on the go, and enjoy experiencing new things in new places.  I know that I'll be home at some point, and that is enough for me.

Two things happened today that made me miss Memphis: I spoke on the phone with my mom, and I went to a choir concert tonight. Don't get me wrong, I am having the time of my life, but travelling abroad makes you miss the things that you usually take for granted.

My mom and I are really close. Homeschooled for most of my childhood, I spent so much time with her. We would do everything together because we were together all day every day. Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.  After I graduated, she got a job, and suddenly, we see each other a fraction of the time that we used to.  Usually, we would spend the Christmas season decorating the house, making and acquiring food for the goodies table, Christmas shopping, crafting, and watching cheesy Lifetime Christmas films. Now that we are separated for thousands of miles for the Christmas season, I'm missing her so much.  I chatted on the phone with her for almost an hour today, and it really made me realize how much I take her presence for granted. I love you, Mom.

Secondly, we went to Ian's choir concert tonight.  For those of you who don't know, I am in an a phenomenal church choir program. I've been under the direction of James Brown and his amazing music team for almost thirteen years.  Every Christmas, we put on a performance called Lessons and Carols.  It is  night filled with sacred Christmas music and accompanying Scripture verses.  Members of the Memphis Symphony Orchestra plays along with our adult choir as we sing the songs of Jesus' birth.  We have been rehearsing the music for the 25th anniversary since August.  When I realized that my plane left six days before the performance, I couldn't believe it.  The concert tonight consisted of both sacred and secular Christmas selections.  They sang songs that I am used to--like Hark, the Herald Angels Sing and Once in Royal David's City.  Others were new to me, but I felt so much better hearing their music.  The clear voices rang throughout the tall white walls of the United Reformed Church in Nairn.  By the end of Once in Royal David's City, my eyes were filled with tears as I thought of the performance back in Memphis tomorrow. As they sang, I got an ache in my heart. I felt happy that I was there, but something was off. When Kathleen sent a video of Masters in This Hall, I felt like I was there. 

There are some things that I miss, but I am having an excellent time here. 

If you live in or around Memphis, you can find information about the Lessons and Carols performance here.

No comments:

Post a Comment