Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Coronation Egg Salad

I got my curry powder in Rwanda for 1400 RWF -- $2.50. If you don't have a favourite curry already, check out the one I've listed below. 

With just 6 weeks until I leave for Great Britain, I'm feeling especially eager to be heading home. Wait Melanie, I thought you were American? HAH. "American by birth, British in spirit" as Kathleen says. I decided to make one of my favourite lunches ever.

My hours as a nanny and personal assistant are all over the place, so oftentimes, I find myself alone at home during the lunch hour. If you know me, you know that I basically have a stomach the size of my fist. I don't eat a lot at once, but I do like eating. Since whole meals aren't practical for me to make, I've come up with an arsenal of single-serving lunch foods.

A popular British food is called Coronation Chicken. It was a recipe created for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1952. Almost every family has their own version. Mine might seem a little sacrilege compared to the original recipe, but let's face it, I am in fact an American and mine takes 5 minutes if your eggs are already boiled. If you have a mango or mango chutney around, use that by all means. I typically don't keep mangoes on a regular basis, but another yellow stone fruit (such as a peach) works just fine!
I'll admit, this picture is a little old. It's before I went gluten-free, but it really shows how pretty the salad is!


Coronation Egg Salad
serves 1-2

2 hard-boiled eggs
1 Tb. mayonnaise
2 tsp. curry powder (or 1 1/2 tsp. curried garlic blend)
1/3 c. chopped mango or peach (substitute 2 Tb mango chutney)
salt to taste

No directions needed. Mix it all up. Eat it with lettuce on bread, with a spoon, or on crackers. It's versatile. Pack it in your lunch, but keep it cold. I personally like mine when it's fresh and the eggs a little bit warm still.

Finish the meal with a cuppa and a Tunnock's teacake, will you?


1 comment:

  1. HAH. "American by birth, British in spirit"
     
    I hear you, and my spirit matches yours.
     
    I am British, but was ripped from my Homeland by my parents as a baby. My ♥ longs for living life back home in GB, but that pain seems destined to end some time in my future.
     
    Go Melanie, soak in the British lifestyle. I will always envy you doing that. Until I go back.

    ReplyDelete