Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Chai Love You

       
       I love you, chai.  I don't love buying you from stores or Starbucks though.  People mess you up by masking your flavors with too much flavored syrup.  I have discovered how to make you myself, and I cannot stop.
       That is an ode to my love for chai.  I've found that store-bought chai teabags are bitter.  Nobody likes bitter tea.  Starbucks is notorious for giving you a cup of sugar syrup flavored with a little bit of chai.  Don't get me wrong, I am a Starbucks-aholic.  But when it comes to their chai, they fall way short.  So I thought to myself, why don't I just make my own chai? Uh hello! Why haven't I been doing this my whole life? You can make it as strong/sweet/peppery/etc. as you like.  My brother, Willis, who never takes time to pick out flavors and basically vacuums up food, requested that I make this for him because it is so refreshing.  He tried to steal my cup of it this morning as he left the car for school.  
       I personally like iced chai best.  Willis is right.  It's refreshing.  I usually add a little bit of milk to make it creamy.  Here is my recipe:

Iced Chai Tea

4 c. water
1 1/2 tsp. whole cloves
2 Tb. whole peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick
1 1/2 Tb. sugar*
4-5 black teabags

*I sometimes substitute the sugar for a squirt of honey or agave nectar depending on what I have on hand, or how I want it to taste that day.  

1. In a medium saucepan, add all the ingredients besides the teabags.  
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Remove from heat and add the tea. Cover.
4. Let sit for as long as you want or have time for.  It's definitely drinkable after 30 minutes; however, I sometimes put mine on before bed so it'll be ready when I wake up in the morning.
5. If it's still hot/warm, put it into a sealed jar and put into the fridge until it is cold.
6. Pour over ice and add a splash of milk.

       Try it. It's so delicious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment