Monday, March 18, 2013

St. Simon Island and Savannah, Georgia

I am we'll aware of the fact that you all did not hear from me yesterday. Well, I can assure you that I did not get eaten by an alligator. I just didn't get around to it.
Firstly, St. Simon Island. Gosh, that feels like it was a week ago. It was actually just over 24 hours ago. We started the day with another walk. This one was 10k just like the previous days. I wasn't as impressed with that one as I was for the one on Jekyll Island. The town part was cute, and we ate some mean seafood, but our directions weren't clear and the neighborhoods weren't as nice. Our instructions told us to keep going straight on this one road, so we did. When we didn't wind up where we were supposed to be, we realized that we should have turned to the left a good mile or so back. We just ended up finishing up the walk from where we were. After that was over, we walked down the streets and ate lunch at a place called the Sandcastle Cafe or something like that. I had blackened flounder with cucumber salad and stirfry cabbage. It. Was. Amazing. St. Simon Island had a lighthouse which I was very excited about! Also, there were two giant brown pelicans on the pier. They would almost let you touch them, but I didn't want to lose any of my fingers. After lunch, we strolled around the crafts fair they had going on. It was like the annual Germantown Festival, for all you Memphis readers, but without all the SEC yard art. You know what I'm talking about. OH! I got pooped on by a seagull. It was really really nasty.
We drove to Savannah after that and checked into our hotel. Our room wasn't ready, so we went to World Market (cue Hallelujah Chorus). I really wanted some Tunnock's teacakes, but they didn't have any. WAHHHH! I did buy some Guwert's curry ketchup, Walker's shortbread, bourbon cremes, violet and lemon candies, Hobnobs, Happy Hippos, Trebor softmints, etc. It's not like a bought a lot or anything. And I definitely won't be making another trip tomorrow...cough cough. After World Market, we waited for the famous Pat Hall to arrive. (Inside joke. I'm sorry, that's rude, but I'm sure you don't want to hear the story). She got here around 9pm or so, and we went straight into playing SkipBo until midnight.
We woke up this morning around 9ish and slowly got ready to go to brunch. I'm telling you, brunch is the way to go. I am all about the idea of getting up late and having super delicious food mid-morning. We stopped by a fabulous place called the Cobblestone Cafe on the riverfront. OH MY GOSH. I had a cappuccino and crabcake Benedict. This thing was piled high with English muffin, crabcake, Canadian bacon, poached egg, and roasted red pepper hollandaise sauce. I don't think you want to hear me say that it was the best thing I've ever eaten, but maybe it was. Oh man. It was divine.
After brunch, we walked around the city a little bit. I went into the Savannah Bee Co. store and tasted everything they have to offer. The honeycomb was unreal. I ended up buying my favorite honey that I sampled: the sourwood. It has such an unusual flavor that I simply couldn't resist. We spent the rest of the day walking around the ENTIRE city. It started off rainy and cold, but by 1 or so, it was warm and sunny. The weather was gorgeous. I took so many pictures that I ran out of space on my phone. We ended the day the same way we started: eating. Y'all, even though I've walked at least 6 miles every day since leaving home, I think I've gained 25 pounds. We stopped by a British pub for dinner. This place had a telephone booth, Saltire flowing in the breeze, tartan wallpaper, and Scotch eggs with brown sauce on the menu. It was so good I wanted to cry. Have I ever mentioned that I am basically Scottish? Yeah, well it made me really happy. Ps- it was called Six Pence.
So here I am, full of food and memories. And the church below is called Independent Presbyterian Church. I felt so at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment